Friday, December 7, 2012

LRA 2012

 Kelly Byrd, Jennifer Simpson and I are presenting at the Louisiana Reading Association Conference in New Orleans, LA today.

Our conference presentation is titled Integrating Technology and the Arts in Reading and Math: What it Looks Like with New Standards. We will share practical strategies for integrating literacy, technology and the arts with emphasis on new literacy standards in math.



Additional Resources...
Radial Symmetry, Tessellations, and Notan Designs




















Great slideshow by Nancy Walkup, teacher and editor of SchoolArts magazine


http://www.shodor.org/interactivate/activities/Tessellate/

Tessellation Demo by artist Jim McNeil
http://www.shodor.org/interactivate/activities/Tessellate/

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Paige,
This post brought back memories! I did the radial symmetry Name design when I was a sophomore in high school for my geometry class. I also did a radial symmetry project in Art class in high school. I believe the name design would have had more of an effect if my teachers had done the same project when I was younger. Most of my memories from school are from the hands-on projects we did to emphasize a lesson. The Arts and hands-on projects are truly an important addition to all classes, math, science, English, and more. Your blog has many inspirational points!
Sincerely,
Kameron Strickland

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you have found some useful ideas Kameron. I like to focus on the arts as a strategy teachers can use to teach other content.