Saturday, March 9, 2013

Amon Carter American Art Museum in Fort Worth

The last in my trilogy of Fort Worth Art Museums was the trek in the rain to see American art at the Amon Carter...well worth the cab fare!

The collection was beautiful and certainly broadened my knowledge of and appreciation for American art.
The gift bag for NAEA members was very thoughtful!

These were a few of my many favorites...

Stuart Davis
The first painting I noticed in the museum.
Stuart Davis self-portrait


I was drawn to this and had no idea it was Stuart Davis
until I read the following...

Another Stuart Davis 
Mary Cassatt
Woman Standing, Holding a Fan

Georgia O'Keefe




Winslow Homer
Although, I have never seen this work of art,
I knew right away and from a distance this was Winslow Homer.
Crossing the Fields
Thomas Eakins
Interesting painting and reaction to Eakin's portrayal of nudity,
also his self-portrait in the right, bottom corner.



Frederic Remington
There were so many wonderful pieces to share but I'll end this post with a couple of works 
from the great Remington collection...


Civilizations are most often remembered for their art and thought...I have always believed in the definition of an educated man or woman as one who could, if necessary, refound his or her civilization. That means we must teach our students more than hard facts and floppy disks. We must teach them the rich artistic inheritance of our culture and an appreciation of how fine music enriches both the student who studies it, and the society that produces it...The existence of strong music and fine arts curricula are important to keeping the humanities truly humanizing and liberal arts education truly liberating" - Ronald Reagan

No comments: