Monday, April 15, 2013

USA COE Students' Inaugural Visit to the USA Archaeology Museum

Students in EDU 301, our Arts in the Elementary School class, were welcomed by Barbara Filion, Education Curator at the USA Archaeology Museum Tuesday, April 9th. After an excellent tour of the facility, Barbara led us in an art/archaeology integrated lesson.


 

Student responses to the field trip included:

"The Archaeology Museum was fascinating, and Barbara Filion gave us a great tour...I was completely intrigued by the Stratigraphy Wall. I could have spent hours looking at the artifacts in those layers."

"My favorite part about the USA Archaeology Museum was the hands on activity at the end. Much like little children, doing crafts and further exploration of a specific topic really drives home the main concepts, for everyone. The most educational part gained from the trip was all the background history, I had no idea how much of the Museum's history would tie to Mobile's roots."

"I had a wonderful time at the museum! Sometimes we forget about how historical Mobile is. I really enjoyed every part of the museum, and I dont think I can pick just one part."

"I would like to start off by saying that I had no idea that museum was even on the campus. I must admit that I enjoyed the visit overall. The tour guide was extremely educated on her facts about Old Mobile and she really captured my attention and made me want to know more about the city I live in."

"I had to do a double take on the replicas of the people, especially the one in the colonial exhibit."

"I've never been to an archaeology museum before, and I must say it was a very interesting experience. The tour guide/storyteller did an amazing job telling the stories and history of Mobile. My favorite part of the museum would have to be the wax models, especially the indian chief walking up the mound. The artists did a fabulous job creating all the intricate details on the statues to make them so realistic."

No comments: