Wednesday, August 4, 2010

DI POD #4 "Dauphin Island Signs"

I have personally purchased some nice "island wear" at Marti's.
The "Little Red School House" is ON the beach.
I'll post more pictures and info in a future DI POD.
I've run many a 5K beginning at Historic Fort Gaines.
We joke about Ship & Shore. It has been here as long as I remember and I don't know of ANYTHING I've ever needed on the Island and haven't been able to purchase here. I'll put them to the test shortly when I go in search of a MacBeth DVD ("summer reading").
Personal connection?
Uncle owns a Harley store in Florida!
Posted in front of a home (with numerous other political opinions).
HESCO Barriers are numerous. They have been placed by our National Guard and others to keep the oil from reaching the shore (something I question and will blog about in the future).


Some things I saw/heard today:

A mature local gentleman laughing and exclaiming, "Oil spill, what oill spill? It hasn't changed anything for me. I haven't seen any oil, but of course I don't go to the beach."

There was a small film crew at the Bakery this morning. This afternoon, the same  crew was at the Library/Welcome Center. I asked them what they were flming and they indicated they were with "BP.com" and it was a community outreach project. I will have to look for it.

A little girl (about 3 years old) was just given a coin by her dad to throw into a small fountain in front of the Bakery. Her dad told her to make a wish and then asked what she wished for. She replied , "for you to be nice to mommy." He didn't respond, looked up at me, then smuggishly laughed. Children are so perceptive!

Tomorrow's DI POD's:
 Jacy's horseshoe crab research at the Dauphin Island Sea Lab and my exploration of the Dauphin Island Estuarium with Josh and Cody.


No comments: